Re: Announcing EOL for Jessie images

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Are you unaware of Debian LTS or are there any reasons why the security
> > support provided by that official Debian team is not suitable in the
> > context of cloud images?
>
> Please search for LTS in the notes of our meeting last week:
> https://gobby.debian.org/export/Sprints/CloudSprint2018/Notes

Thanks. Well, I don't want the cloud team to reverse their decision
but among the notes, the only valid reason I could find is
« Requires effort to keep images supported » or the fact that users
could mistakenly use old images as a basis.

I saw some (what I see as) irrelevant statement like
« Also. Debian volunteer does not provide LTS
Paid people provide support »

Or entirely wrong statement like:
« Backports (unlike LTS) is official part of Debian, hosted
on our infrastructure, maintained by DDs or DMs, etc. »

LTS is official part of Debian, hosted on debian.org, maintained
by DD. The fact that the time spent by those DD is (publicly known as
being) sponsored is irrelevant, much like the fact that the Azure support in
Debian cloud team is made by Credativ which is paid by Microsoft (IIRC).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer