Re: Call for Testing: Stretch Cloud Images on AWS

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:42:04PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 04:29:11PM +0800, gustavo panizzo wrote:
> > I saw your blog post (which I've attached to this email), then the next
> > time I needed an EC2 instance I tested the images on a non-IPv6 region
> > (SG) and an IPv6 enabled VPC
> >
> > overall the image looks fine, no extraneous things, sysctl is clean,
> > etc. great job. :)
>
> Interesting that you bring up sysctl. I consider it a bug that we're
> currently running with an unmodified set of sysctl variables. Apparently
> you disagree. My reasoning is that the kernel defaults are intended to
> be very broadly applicable, but the cloud AMI is a more specific use
> case and it should be possible to provide a more appropriate set of
> defaults for various settings. We can tune our sysctl settings towards
> server optimizations because we know we're not running on a device like
> a laptop or mobile device.

the right thing to do would be ship tuned [1] or similar by default

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/tuned/

As others mentioned before, I think we should avoid surprising the
users. the AMI should be as vanilla as possible.

> > could you move the configuration for eth1 to eth8 to
> > /etc/network/interfaces.d/? also can you _please_ move out of
> > /usr/local the helper?
>
> I think moving most interface configs to interfaces.d is reasonable and
> will do that. I had considered it previously but did not, mostly out of
> laziness.
>
> Where would you prefer the interfaces helper script live, if not
> /usr/local? Because it does not belong to a package, I don't think it
> belongs in a first-level /usr subdirectory. I suppose ideally it will
> get added to a package, but I'm not sure it's worth packaging on its
> own. Maybe it could be added to ifupdown?
ifupdown is the right place for it IMHO, if ifupdown maintainer does not
agree i'd place it in /lib or /usr but never on /usr/local because
/usr/local hierarchy is reserved for local administrator, the script is
an artifact of the OS so it should live among OS artifacts.

again, this may be bikesheeding, i really don't want to do that. so if
you don't agree just go with it.

> > - cloud-init complains when net-tools is not installed (it appears to
> > work anyway) bug #853926
>
> It's probably best to explicitly install net-tools, at least until
> cloud-init is updated.
>
> > - I'd like to see all locales installed (but I understand that is a topic
> > for another discussion)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. One thing that other distros have done is
> provide a "minimal" AMI that contains the most basic set of tools needed
> to function (i.e. not much more than a bare debootstrap install +
> sshd and cloud-init and their dependencies), and a full-featured
> variant. If we were to do that, maybe it'd make sense to provide locales
> in the featureful variant. OTOH, it should be pretty straightforward for
> a user to configure desired locales via user-data provided to cloud-init
> at launch time, so this may not be necessary.
I think any cloud advanced user would be able to provision the locales
at creation time using cloud-init, heck they may never provision locales
as they may not even login into the instances in their lifetime.

I was worried about the not so cloudy user who may treat ec2 as an
standard server whom may not be an english speaker.

I agree that 2 sets of AMIs full and minimal (by default) would be
useful for the not-so-advanced-user.

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: https://keybase.io/gfa