Re: IAM permissions adjustment on AWS

The only down side of this would be any secrets stored in any SSM Parameter Store locations, but at this point in time I don't think three are any; historically, people would store secrets into S3 buckets (probably client-side encrypted, definitely server side encrypted). These secrets could be locked down to being accessible to only specific IP ranges, and now to specific VPCs (see VPC Endpoints, specifically S3 Endpoints). Again, I don't think we're doing that.

I was trying a few years ago to have SAML federation, but no one seemed interested. Hence we have local users, and we've enforced MFA for all.

You'll find there are "Managed Policies' for "read-only", which are updated as a managed service to reflect read-only as new permissions and services are added. Note that any DENY policies win, so a combination of a managed Read Only everything, with DENY on SSM ParameterStore GetParameters [1] is probably enough.

Not that for IAM itself, you would be able to list API access key IDs, but never the Access key secrets (These are never re-issued).

I wouldn't go as far as making this visible to people outside of DDs.

[1]

        {
            "Effect": "Deny",
            "Action": [ "ssm:GetParameters" ],
            "Resource": "arn:aws:ssm:*:DIGITSHERE:parameter/*"
        }