Re: Systemd predictive network interface names for Stretch

 ❦  1 juin 2017 13:23 -0700, Zach Marano <zmarano@google.com> :

> So does this mean you still need to hard code the interface names (which
> for all intents and purposes may not be static across different hardware)
> into /etc/network/interfaces when using predictive network interface names?
> This isn't the worst thing in the world for the cloud use case as the
> virtual hardware is basically consistent- but I could imagine problems in
> other circumstances or if the PCI devices change over time.

Yes, this happens. The network provider can for example provide a
balloon driver that would push the network card into a different
position. However, cloud-init handles that by writing the appropriate
ifup snippet.

> Generally, to the debian-cloud folks, what are your thoughts here for
> Debian cloud images. The possibility that PCI devices can change is always
> on the table and we shouldn't assume it can't happen in any given
> virtualization environment. If the configs for networks are hard coded we
> would risk breaking instances. Is using systemd-networkd something Debian
> is going to support going forward instead of ifup?

This would be a heated debate, unfortunately...
--
Use library functions.