Re: Systemd predictive network interface names for Stretch

Thanks Vincent and Vincent,
So does this mean you still need to hard code the interface names (which for all intents and purposes may not be static across different hardware) into /etc/network/interfaces when using predictive network interface names? This isn't the worst thing in the world for the cloud use case as the virtual hardware is basically consistent- but I could imagine problems in other circumstances or if the PCI devices change over time.

Generally, to the debian-cloud folks, what are your thoughts here for Debian cloud images. The possibility that PCI devices can change is always on the table and we shouldn't assume it can't happen in any given virtualization environment. If the configs for networks are hard coded we would risk breaking instances. Is using systemd-networkd something Debian is going to support going forward instead of ifup?

-----
Zach Marano
zmarano@google.com

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
 ❦  1 juin 2017 11:38 -0700, Zach Marano <zmarano@google.com> :

> I haven't found the definitive answer to this question yet. Does Stretch
> use predictive network interface names and systemd-networkd by
> default?

Predicitive network interface names are enabled by default. However,
systemd-networkd is not enabled by default (user can enable it with
"systemctl enable systemd-networkd").
--
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
                -- Mark Twain