Re: Setting hostnames with hostnamectl on AWS AMIs, missing dbus?

On 2017-02-15 11:03:51, paul wrote:
> Regarding Ansible, as far as I'm aware, it does check what's available - and
> hostnamectl is present, it's just broken without dbus. I think it's
> reasonable for a third party to assume that if something is present, that it
> works.

Yeah I have to agree with you, problem is how to rectify it in Debian. I see 3
options and honestly I'm not sure which would be the best one :-|
1. Keep it as it is. It's close to the default Debian image as possible, so no
  flame wars on d-devel but some users (like your self) will be a bit unhappy.
2. Install dbus with default image on linux (ex. as a dependency from systemd)
  or just as a crude addition to the installed packages list in default image.
  But I'm expecting that putting any of those suggestions on d-devel will
  inflate discussion quite rapidly and we won't be any wiser after it.
3. Add dbus as pure cloud image dependency on images creation. I've never seen
  cloud instance (neither AWS, GCP, OVH, DigitalOcean, etc anywhere in
  commercial environment) customised to the point of init system, so I'd say
  it's safe to assume that all are using what is default in the given release.
  If this is systemd as we have right now, adding dbus would make sense,
  but ... .

> Run manually on that fresh install of the 8.7 AMI, I get the same error as
> Ansible reports: 'hostnamectl' is present, but broken. It seems like
> something that should either be fixed or removed.

I whole heartedly agree.

> The error message doesn't
> make it immediately obvious what needs to be done to fix it. I've got a
> hacky workaround at the moment - install dbus before setting the hostname :)

Yes, fix technically is dead simple but it's not so simple to agree on the
resolution in Debian.

Anyway thx for pointing this issue out to us.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3