Re: Setting hostnames with hostnamectl on AWS AMIs, missing dbus?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:24:37AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 14, Adam Bolte <abolte@systemsaviour.com> wrote:
> > A quick scan over at bugs.debian.org suggests there are no bug reports
> > about this against the systemd package, which I guess is a bit
> > surprising given how long ago the Salt Stack issue on GitHub above was
> > created.
> systemd maintainer here:

Howdy!

> the package is working as expected.

Your expectations maybe. :)

> If you need dbus-mediated features then you are supposed to install
> dbus, but we do not want to impose a strict dependency on it.

Apparently anyone who uses timedatectl needs dbus, so why include it
in the systemd package where it may not work, instead of a separate
package with the dbus dependency? The command seems sufficiently
common and important to justify doing so.

> BTW: if you are installing openssh-daemon on the system then you are
> supposed to install libpam-systemd as well (which depends on dbus).

On Jessie:

$ apt-cache depends openssh-server | grep -i systemd
$ echo $?
1
$

That doesn't seem correct. If there were some justification for
libpam-systemd needing to be installed if using openssh-server, there
would surely be a Recommends in there somewhere. The only meaningful
Recommends on the libpam-systemd package appears to be by systemd
itself, but that's typically not sufficient for it being pulled in -
hence this thread.

debian-image-builder and bootstrap-vz aren't the only tools where this
is a problem, as even fresh Xen DomU installs created with
xen-create-image (part of the Debian xen-tools package) don't include
libpam-systemd or dbus.

In fact, the only machines I could find (after checking close to 100
of them via the Salt pkg.version execution module) that actually had
libpam-systemd (and hence dbus) packages installed were some old Xen
DomU VMs that were originally created as Wheezy instances via an old
version of xen-create-image, and then manually upgraded to Jessie.

Since all fresh stable VM installs since Jessie don't have it from
what I can see, it's probably quite reasonable to assume that dbus
will not be available on the majority of virtual machine installs as
things stand today, where timedatectl is broken.

I also don't think updating all of the bootstrap tools to get a
properly working Debian installation is the correct solution, although
that's just my opinion.

Regards,
Adam