Re: my progress

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 06:17:33AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Noah> I've modified the class/DEBIAN.var file such that the default
>     Noah> behavior is to generate images for jessie. We can add a
>     Noah> STRETCH class in order to generate images for testing. I'd
>     Noah> rather use "stable", but it's preferable to use the release
>     Noah> codename in many places and there's no easy way to resolve
>     Noah> stable to the current codename AFAIK. Maybe there should be?
>
> I thought we agreed the fai efforts would be for stretch and we would
> not be converting our existing jessie work.
> I don't mind having jessie support if it's easy, but for example if we
> run into situations where  it adds extra code to work around bugs fixed
> in stretch but present in jessie, I'd like to push back.

Yes, I think you're right.

I based my work on jessie initially because we have JEB's high quality
jessie images to use as a baseline for comparison, and I found that
useful.

In practice, activating a JESSIE or STRETCH class still needs to happen
via the fai-diskimage commandline anyway, and these classes override the
release variable, so defining a default value for that variable in
class/DEBIAN.var was not actually useful. My inclination is to require
the user to activate a specific release class, and for FAI to abort if
one isn't provided.

noah