Re: [vagrant] debian/jessie64 v8.5.1 missing lsb-release and ca-certificate packages

On 07/05/2016 10:11 AM, Rick van den Hof wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
>> Thanks for your interest for the Vagrant boxes.
>>
>> The packages you mentioned are of priority 'optional', and were only in
>> up to now installed becaused of transitive dependecy via 'recommends'.
>> See the debian policy for the meanings of these/
>> Since 'recommends' pulled too much X11 client libraries, we decided not
>> installed 'recommended' packages. On second thought I agree this is
>> debattable, since it makes us deviate from a standard debian install.
>>
>> Until we we have build different kind of images with different packages
>> set priority, there will be always a bit too much or a bit too less.
>>
>> NB: we release each new boxes version with changelog at
>> https://atlas.hashicorp.com/debian/boxes/jessie64
>>
>> ( I agree the atlas interface makes the reading confusing )
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. As these boxes are primarily used (by me and many others I bet) for development purposes, it's quite essential ca-certificates is present. lsb-release is necessary for Puppet's facts gathering tool and I imagine Ansible uses it as well. Is it an idea to add these packages manually back into the image?

Hi Rick

Generally, I am against adding single packages to the image because it
will be difficult to argue where to start and where to stop. Believe me
we discussed this already many times. Instead let's rely on the Debian
policy who defines what is a standard base system:

standard

    These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
character-mode system. This is what will be installed by default if the
user doesn't select anything else. It doesn't include many large
applications.

Recommends

    This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.
    The Recommends field should list packages that would be found
together with this one in all but unusual installations.

Hence if we talk about a 'standard' and 'usual' debian system ( I am not
talking about application level virtualization  like docker here )
then we should have the packages of Priority Standard, with their
Recommends also installed.
If we think some packages with Priority:Standard pull too much via
Recommends, then it should be solved at the package level.

So I am planning to add the Recommends: back to the Vagrant base box.

Fortunately for you the Recommends includes lsb_release and
ca-certificates, which mean they will get back.
I've seen the problem you mentionned was reported in the Puppet bug tracker:
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-866

NB: this will still keep out gtk libraries Martin reported (here we
satisfies here the '|' alternate depency ourselves to solve the problem)