Re: bootstrap-vz switching to single branch strategy

On 5 May 2015 20:54:18 CEST, Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> wrote:
>On 5 May 2015 at 17:34, Eirik Schwenke <debian-lists@s.hypertekst.net>
>wrote:
>
>Is there any interest in making bootstrap-vz more suitable to use as a
>> regular user? (Clearly yes, if possible)
>>
>I am not quite sure I follow. bootstrap-vz is made for sysadmins who
>have
>some fair knowledge of how Debian works, could you explain what you
>mean by
>regular user?

I meant under a non-root user id. For automation, and general testing - and peace of mind.

>I might prefer running as few codesections under sudo
>>
>Funny you should say that. About 6 months ago I was thinking about the
>same
>thing, the best way to do this would be to launch bootstrap-vz as root,
>but
>immediately suid to some other user and the only go back when needed. I
>think using sudo directly might become a little messy and non-pythonic.

Part of the point would be to minimize the amount of code one had to audit for root privileges.

It would probably be best to figure out a way/few alternatives that avoided root all together.

By "becomming root" I kind of meant to draw inspiration from dpkg-buildpackage etc (with choice of "run as actual root" (like now), call out to sudo/su, or none (I don't immediately see a use-case for "fakeroot" with bootstrap-vz)).

-e