Re: Default locale

Hi David,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 10:33:07 +0100
David Osborne <david@qcode.co.uk> wrote:

> One thing I am noticing, is regardless of the locale I set in the
> original machine before taking an image, whenever I launch an image
> taken from it, cloudinit sets the local back to en_US
>
> I can see this happening in the logs:
>
> Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] util.py[DEBUG]: Writing to
> /var/lib/cloud/instances/i-60f68623/sem/config_locale - wb: [420] 20
> bytes Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] helpers.py[DEBUG]: Running
> config-locale using lock (<FileLock using file
> '/var/lib/cloud/instances/i-60f68623/sem/config_locale'>)
> Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] cc_locale.py[DEBUG]: Setting locale to
> en_US.UTF-8
>
> I would imagine this is a fairly basic part of the cloudinit config,
> but I don't know it well enough to see which part is doing that.. can
> you help?
>
> I know I can override this by adding a "locale: en_GB.UTF-8" to
> userdata on launch, or perhaps by adding a locale statement to
> /var/lib/cloud/scripts/per-instance
> before taking the image, but it feels like I should be addressing
> what sets this by default instead.
>
> Also the "admin" user keeps being reintroduced, so I suspect it's the
> same mechanism that's doing that.
cloud-init configuration lives in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg there you should
be able to remove the 'admin user plugin' and also set the default
locale you want. You may want to take a look to the configuration
examples[0]

Best Regards,

[0] http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/examples.html

--