Default locale

Hi,

I used a debian HVM EDS image (eg. ami-4d31e73a). I've built a environment based on that, and am planning on simply using AWS's "Create Image" and launching copies of it based on the ami that produces.

One thing I am noticing, is regardless of the locale I set in the original machine before taking an image, whenever I launch an image taken from it, cloudinit sets the local back to en_US

I can see this happening in the logs:

Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] util.py[DEBUG]: Writing to /var/lib/cloud/instances/i-60f68623/sem/config_locale - wb: [420] 20 bytes
Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] helpers.py[DEBUG]: Running config-locale using lock (<FileLock using file '/var/lib/cloud/instances/i-60f68623/sem/config_locale'>)
Sep  5 09:50:27 dev [CLOUDINIT] cc_locale.py[DEBUG]: Setting locale to en_US.UTF-8

I would imagine this is a fairly basic part of the cloudinit config, but I don't know it well enough to see which part is doing that.. can you help?

I know I can override this by adding a "locale: en_GB.UTF-8" to userdata on launch, or perhaps by adding a locale statement to /var/lib/cloud/scripts/per-instance before taking the image, but it feels like I should be addressing what sets this by default instead.

Also the "admin" user keeps being reintroduced, so I suspect it's the same mechanism that's doing that.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Regards,
--
David