GRUB and HVM on EC2

Hello everyone.
I've been trying to understand what is going on when we try
to build HVM Wheezy image using GRUB 1.99 on GRUB 1.99.

The host is run from /dev/xvda (PVM with pvgrub).
It contains following entries in /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0) /dev/xvda
(hd1) /dev/xvdf
IMO it is left-over from creation of AMI; xvda is from
host, xvdf is from AMI - and now what was xvdf during AMI
creation is xvda when this AMI is run.

Target (chroot) contains following entries in device.map
(hd0) /dev/xvdf
(hd0,msdos1) /dev/mapper/xvdf1
This might be the first source of problems; when I run
grub-install with --recheck, it created device.map
like in the first case (in host).

/dev/mapper/xvdf1 points to /dev/dm-0. It points
to it from the very beginning, it is set by kpartx -as
Neither link_fn() nor unlink_fn() from common.tasks.boot.InstallGrub
are called.
Similarly, neither _before_link_dm_node nor _before_unlink_dm_node
from base.fs.volume.Volume are called.

/etc/fstab on target contains UUID, not /dev/mapper/xvdf1
for root partition. I've tried changing that, but it did not help.

From my point of view, this is rather messy.
 * we have target / mounted to /dev/mapper/xvdf1, while
there exists /dev/xvdf1.
 * /etc/fstab uses UUID
 * grub-install is called with /dev/xvdf
 * but later grub puts UUIDs into grub.cfg in root=*

OTOH setting DISABLE_LINUX_UUID in grub configuration does not change
anything.

I've found GRUB bug related to UUIDs but I am not sure whether
it is related to our case or not:

I also tried fix proposed in
but it didn't help.

Currently I feel lost with all of this.

Maybe time will help - it looks like GRUB from Jessie does
not have those problems ;-). OTOH now Debian stable cannot be run
on the new cheep (or free) machines like t2 which use HVM.

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860