Re: GCE Debian Wheezy VM stops at Pass phrase protected Apache2 SSL Cert. dialog

Hi Jose,

You could certainly use our metadata server to provide the apache passphrase at boot time, if you then integrate it with the apache startup process. I'm not an expert on Apache's initialization procedure so I'll leave advice on that to others. As far as I know, no code has been written yet to do that.

The dist-upgrade was probably only relevant as your first reason to reboot after making the change, I'd expect, nothing specific to the new kernel or to GCE.

However, I do have one bit of positive feature clarification to provide: gcutil, gcloud, and our web UI do allow you to fully shut down an instance, which will let you attach the disk to another instance. Just delete it while preserving the boot disk (it's an option for all of those tools). This will send a clean ACPI power down signal to the VM, giving it an approximate maximum of 2 minutes before pulling the virtual power cord.

Good luck, and glad you're trying GCE!

- Jimmy