Re: bootstrap-vz packaging

On 7 August 2014 01:43, Marcin Kulisz <debian@kulisz.net> wrote:
On 2014-08-06 22:32:45, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Marcin,
>
> I know it's a bit of a pain to backport fixes like this, but at the same
> time, we can't just don't care about it to the point of nearly ditch one
> of the two architecures that bootstrap-vz supports. Also, take care of
> issues like this is one of the perks of being a package mantainer.

Hi Tiago,
for one bootstrap-vz doesn't support those yet as this patch is only available
in development branch.
Two, are there (in the wild) people who really are using i386 in environments
like this? If they are I suppose it's very small niche.

As I already explained it's very small patch and I don't mind attaching it, it
just made me start to look up stats for i386 usage on virtualised envs we're
targeting with bootstrap-vz and it seams to be marginal.

On 2014-08-06 22:17:28, Tomasz Rybak wrote:
> I intend to use i386 for testing PyOpenCL, but as for now we cannot
> run Debian on GPU instances, it is not worth worrying about.

Seams to be additional point to include this patch, so I'll do. Patches from
both GH PRs (118 & 119) will be included in 0.9.0-2 (or 1.0.0 *blink*)

> More important question should be answered by Andreas - when
> you'll merge development branch into master. And - is there
> any timeline for 1.0?

+1 Tomasz

It'll be nice to have it in Jessie and as freeze is coming soon, thx a lot to
Balint for uploading current version (0.9.0), so we can later fast track (not
going through new) 1.0.0 when released.
--

|_|0|_|                                          |
|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3

> More important question should be answered by Andreas - when
> you'll merge development branch into master. And - is there
> any timeline for 1.0?

My wish would be to get most of the different boot methods working for EC2 first (some don*t work if you hadn't noticed) and figuring out the problem with installing VirtualBox GuestAdditions when the target and host kernel differ. The latter will probably be fixed soon, while the former might need the testing framework I'm currently developing to allow for iterating through different adjustments/fixes quickly.

Save all of the above, I believe the current dev branch is rather stable, though I have not had the chance to test properly in quite a while.

Tiago, any thoughts on merging?

Anders