Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

Le Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 12:06:20PM +0000, Bromberger, James a écrit :

> Right now we have cloud-init in backports and testing/Jessie (yay! Well done
> Thomas, Jakub and Charles). Moving from the current three scripts (resize
> root, fetch SSH key, and execute #! Userdata), to cloud-init, should be
> backwardly compatible. The question becomes: do we do this during the Wheezy
> cycle by pulling in from backports, or wait until Jessie becomes stable? The
> goal thus far has been to have as much from main packages only, plus the
> three required helper scripts (which are under DFSG compliant licensing).
>
> Similar discussions then arise about things like SDKs; which are open source,
> but change frequently. Should they be from main, or backports? Also the (new,
> unified, python-based) AWS cli: https://github.com/aws/aws-cli/ - backports,
> or main?

Hi James and everybody,

I think that we should go with cloud-init from backports, and keep it up to date
as long as it does not introduce regressions.  Same for the toolkits that follow
well-defined APIs.

In parallel, it would be great to develop regression tests that would allow us
to clearly define what we guarantee on our images.  Any volunteer ?

Charles