RE: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

> On 07/06/2013 08:32 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > the other blocker to do thinks neatly is the lack of official images
> > with cloud-init, however at that point, I am still lacking the time to
> > check if cloud-init is even working at all on Debian.
>
> I have fixed cloud-initramfs-tools, so that it works as expected (eg:
> resize the HDD at boot time correctly), and I use cloud-init in my images. It
> works very well. Using anything else, like the hacked things in the current
> official AWS images, is IMO, a loss of time. cloud-init is definitively the way to
> go, as it supports all clouds in a unified way (and if more have to be added,
> we should work on it).

<role:dd>

Having cloud-init in the AMIs is, IMHO, a core requirement for our next major release. Lots of newer things depend upon it.

Right now we have cloud-init in backports and testing/Jessie (yay! Well done Thomas, Jakub and Charles). Moving from the current three scripts (resize root, fetch SSH key, and execute #! Userdata), to cloud-init, should be backwardly compatible. The question becomes: do we do this during the Wheezy cycle by pulling in from backports, or wait until Jessie becomes stable? The goal thus far has been to have as much from main packages only, plus the three required helper scripts (which are under DFSG compliant licensing).

Similar discussions then arise about things like SDKs; which are open source, but change frequently. Should they be from main, or backports? Also the (new, unified, python-based) AWS cli: https://github.com/aws/aws-cli/ - backports, or main?

   James
(PS: really looking forward to getting some good discussions at Debconf going on what we want to do)