Re: build-debian-cloud and cloud-init

2013/8/17 Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de>
On 17 August 2013 09:29, olivier sallou <olivier.sallou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anders,
> I had a look at the ec2 provider of build-debian-cloud (python branch) and
> wondered if you looked at or coordinated with  Charles Plessy (and others)
> work on cloud-init package for EC2 instances setup.
>
> There is a lot of work/scripts done in cloud-init and maybe package could
> used for image setup to avoid work duplication / maintenance on image
> initialization (I think about SSH host key regeneration, network setup)
> I see in code that several sources are available:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceAltCloud.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceCloudStack.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceConfigDrive.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceEc2.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceMAAS.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceNoCloud.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceNone.py
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/DataSourceOVF.py
>

> Just for info, I also plan to add a new plugin like user_packages but to
> execute user defined scripts in the chroot environment (user may want to add
> a new user, create dirs etc...)
>
> Olivier
>
> --
>
> gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
>
> Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438

> I had a look at the ec2 provider of build-debian-cloud (python branch) and
> wondered if you looked at or coordinated with  Charles Plessy (and others)
> work on cloud-init package for EC2 instances setup.

That's the plan, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll be
working on grub installation, partitioning and extlinux today.
I think the scripts should still be the default since installing
cloud-init requires backports to be added. What do you think?
For the moment yes, but we need to think of the future. Furthermore could-init contains lots of useful init scripts and experience we should rely on.

Olivier