Re: Status GCE images and trademark (was Please let's not talk about "clouds")

Hi Jimmy,

Congrats on the launch!  I have a little comment regarding one of your previous
posts where I got surprised that noone seems have expressed a similar line of
thought:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
>    2) As I understand it, people in Debian are already packaging
>    build-debian-cloud (f/k/a ec2debian-build-ami) for jessie. This is great.
>    While gcutil and gsutil are free software, the pace of development is such
>    that more thought is probably warranted on what the ideal situation is for
>    their packaging and where such packaging would live. If David and/or I
>    make it to DebConf13, this could be one of many fruitful topics of
>    discussion. As with point 1, we're hoping to publicize these quite soon,
>    so any packaging would necessarily happen some time after we properly
>    announce these and gain users, not before.

to me it reads like:

we first release a car with a square steering wheel and when we announce
this new model and gain new users we will make it easier for them by making it
round...

gcutil's Changelog suggests that it had been in development/release for a
while:

$> grep release CHANGELOG
Release 1.8.0 (release date: 2013-05-15):
Release 1.7.2 (release date: 2013-03-11):
Release 1.2.0 (release date: 2012-08-28):

and I really see only disadvantages of having no publicly available (preferably
in Debian proper) Debian packages of the tool.  It could have been blocked from
propagating into jessie if you care not to have a "releasable" version.

so really -- why not have it packaged and uploaded (like yesterday)?

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org