Re: Last-minute Google Compute Engine image tweaks
- To: debian-cloud <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: David McWherter <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Last-minute Google Compute Engine image tweaks
- From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:45:46 -0400
- Message-id: <CAJbdudUS+k9SH8=Q_=7QmT4ivG-RrqbeKbt9fDvokG9yvTq5ew@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <CAJbdudUFnSpi_d=EaaSmWTXK6ajmaRDSXUT8P6oGpNU0eLwX7Q@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <CAJbdudUFnSpi_d=EaaSmWTXK6ajmaRDSXUT8P6oGpNU0eLwX7Q@mail.gmail.com>
A few updates:
* The pre-release images got removed yesterday and the debian-cloud project currently contains squeeze and wheezy images which can be relied upon to stick around for a while (i.e. they are production). The squeeze image was built from the code in our PR #67 (but then we updated image name and description as below), and the wheezy image from the code in our PR #68.
* The new image naming scheme I described, and a slightly changed version of the image description scheme, got merged into Anders' codebase (PR #68) and is used for those images. The code also has fully working --gcs-dest and --gce-project options and a new --gce-kernel option, all documented. Since the script runs via sudo or as root for the gce target (loopback mounting and chroots are used), be aware that $PATH within the sudo/root environment need to include gcutil/gsutil for those options to work, and whatever $HOME is used inside sudo/root will be where the tools look for authentication info (.boto for gsutil, .gcutil_auth for gcutil).
* More publicity via Google channels is quite immiment and I'll share it on this list soon.