Re: About creation of images for Amazon AWS and Windows Azure

On 3 February 2013 11:27, Marco Mangiante <marcomangiante@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to all debian-cloud followers,
>
> in my company we are starting using debian and so I want to "acquire"
> experience on that. What attract me is your efforts to create an
> infrastructure to publish debian on every cloud platform. As maybe you have
> seen I written a previous message and ask where I can find a procedure to
> create a debian wheezy image from scratch and publish it on Windows Azure: I
> want to do it "just for fun" and obtain more knowledge about the process.
>
> I have also read the various messages on the list about debian and amazon
> and the publishing on it: as with Windows Azure I'd like to undestand and
> find material about the creation from scratch of a debian wheezy image to
> publish..as I said.."just for fun".
>
> I'd like to do that to compare the 2 processes and maybe create 2 guides
> about it and help debian and people in this effort.
>
> For Amazon images, for example, I'm bit confused: I've seen that there is a
> toolkit to do that (and I understand you are packaging it to use in Wheezy)
> but in a response on the list I read a suggestion to use Debian Installer;
Charles Plessy is trying to get the Debian Installer working with ec2
AMIs, I am not sure of the progress, but so far I think my
bootstrapper is the only fully automated option.

> for Windows Azure, for example (and even for Amazon), I'd like to know what
> to do after I create my image in my pc (someone call it "on premise"?).
>
> I'd like to create a complete guide for both cloud Platform (maybe hereafter
> for other cloud platforms) to create an image from scratch until the
> publishing.
Tom Heady has already done something to that extent at
https://github.com/tomheady/ec2debian/wiki/64bit-ebs-ami-pvgrub
I am not sure whether everything is up to date though, there are quite
a lot of small (critical) details one has to be aware of when
bootstrapping manually, which is why I would suggest a fully automated
approach.

> I see this pages :
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/CreateEC2Image
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/WindowsAzureImage
>
> and they seems to me not so simple to understand; so could someone help me
> to start on these and do some test?
My bootstrapping tasks at
https://github.com/andsens/ec2debian-build-ami/tree/master/tasks are
written pretty much like a step-by-step guide on how to create an
image, they have comments and all, I suggest you take a look at them.