RE: Instance-store Amazon AMI

In CloudFormation, against your instance (or Launch Configuration if using AutoScale), use:

"BlockDeviceMappings" : [ { "DeviceName"  : "/dev/sdf", "VirtualName" : "ephemeral0" } ]

And in your UserData, you may want a script to test the volume for a partition, and if empty do a format and mount.

--
James Bromberger | Solution Architect | Amazon Web Services