Re: simple-cloud-init

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2012, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> the list can be quite extensive (like resizing the file system when the
>> image is booted on an larger volume, etc.),
>
> right, thats a nice (optional) feature.
>
>> but at the very minimum, I
>> think that an image needs a system to make sure that one can log in with a
>> keypair where the private part is available to the machine via a
>> predetermined URL (that the cloud system makes private to the running
>> instance).
>
> where do you want to provide the private keys? (I dont get it, from a general
> perspective...) Can you please explain?
>
>> In Ubuntu's cloud-init package, there is also a small infrastructure to
>> update PV-GRUB when installing a new kernel.  That would be also quite
>> useful, see http://bugs.debian.org/672104.
>
> I'm not affected by this at all. Grub2 works just fine here.
>
>> The following is in my opinion more the job of the image preparation script
>> or
>>
>> preseed configuration:
>> > b.) create "admin" user with sudo
>> > c.) disable root login
>
> I thought cloud-init is such an image preparation script, or at least it
> includes it. Does it?

Holger and I discussed in IRC, and I added the results of our
discussion to the EC2 FAQ:  http://wiki.debian.org/Amazon/EC2/FAQ

Q: What is instance metadata?
A: Instance metadata is descriptive information about a particular
instance, that is available via an http call to a particular instance
and that instance alone. e.g. - Public IP address, availability zone,
etc. userdata is one of these pieces of data available.

Q: What is userdata?
A: When one instantiates an EC2 instance one may optionally pass 16 KB
of data to the API that can be used by the instance. (Typically use
cases are running scripts, and/or configuring the instance to meet a
particular use case.)

Q: What is cloud-init?
A: Cloud-init is a framework written in Python for handling EC2
userdata to configure a newly instantiated EC2 instance. See upstream
project for more details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CloudInit