Re: simple-cloud-init

Le Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:11:11PM +0100, Holger Levsen a écrit :

> so to rewrite cloud-init (as simple-cloud-init or whatever) what functionality
> is needed?

Hi Holder,

the list can be quite extensive (like resizing the file system when the image
is booted on an larger volume, etc.), but at the very minimum, I think that an
image needs a system to make sure that one can log in with a keypair where the
private part is available to the machine via a predetermined URL (that the cloud
system makes private to the running instance).

Currently ec2debian-build-ami drops scripts for this purpose in the image when
creating it, but I think that it would be neater if it would install a package
doing the same job, for instance cloud-init.

In Ubuntu's cloud-init package, there is also a small infrastructure to update
PV-GRUB when installing a new kernel.  That would be also quite useful, see
http://bugs.debian.org/672104.

The following is in my opinion more the job of the image preparation script or
preseed configuration:

> b.) create "admin" user with sudo
> c.) disable root login

Note that it is strongly discouraged to enable password login for the default
account.

For the SSH host keys, if I remember well, if images contain no keys, these
keys will already be generated at the first boot.  Hence, what we need (if not
yet available) is a preseedable option in the ssh package to not generate the
keys at installation.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy