Re: Debian images on Amazon Web Services

On 3/11/2012 1:33 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
We defninitely need to follow the above recommendation to be credible to our
users.

Why not 'debian' as a default account, but perhaps we can chose an unbranded
name, to ease the work of derivative projects ?  Is there a frequent name in
other OS images ?  Something like 'administrator' would make clearer that the
default account is privileged.

I'm happy with either. I suspect that part of the naming of the account being distro-specific is that it adds to the ambiguity of security-by-obscurity! But then we get defeated by the SSH banner:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-3

For the login procedure, I think that it is strongly expected that using key
rather than a password will be required.  Is ec2debian-build-ami setting up
such a procedure ?  Otherwise, I think that cloud-init does.  I will start
a separate thread about cloud-init.
Yes, the ec2debian-build-ami script is disabling password authentication; I've just corresponded with Anders, and he is looking at a plugin for that script to create the named user. I'm also doing some hacking on this, but my time is rapidly disappearing so I don't know who will get there first. This build script is also setting up to execute User Data if it is executable. Its not full cloud-init support (which would be great), but its functional to script upon boot.

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au