Re: Missing AMIs listed on wiki, no link to Marketplace

On 11/28/2012 07:43 AM, James Bromberger wrote:

I've added some additional info to http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Marketplace on the IDs responsible.
Thanks for the quick reply.

That looks considerably improved.

I noticed when reading the Martketplace docs that there's explicit support for free, unlimited-instances AMIs. Is that what you've got set up? Or are you using a pay-as-you-go setup with a $0/hour cost? It's hard to tell from the UI which is which.

Thanks for adding the Marketplace shortlink - great idea.

Should we deprecate/archive the older images that are listed on http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image?
Not quite yet IMO. The Rightscale images at least include cloud-init support, which the current images you're publishing appear to lack. So they run scripts in user-data and do other webservice based init.

Is there any chance a revision of the Marketplace images could include cloud-init? It's pretty vital for effective use of images in AWS, and without it I (and probably many others) will need to remaster the AMIs anyway.

I'm at the AWS re:invent conference by the way. Let me know off-list if you want me to corner any Amazon folks and ask about any issues or anything that's bugging you.