Re: JSON based API to query available AMIs

On 24/11/2012 10:14 PM, Anders Ingemann wrote:
toolchain? If you can generate the static JSON file at each AMI
generation / upload, I can then investigate with the www.d.o team how to
publish it on www.d.o natively, if feasible there, or where else it
should go.
Shouldn't be a problem, but I am not sure how the procedure of
replicating the AMIs across regions work.

There;s two approaches. As each AMI has a unique AMI ID and is a fresh snapshot and registration in each region, you can either copy a master AMI's snapshot, or re-run the bootstrap script in each Region. As everything is an API call in AWS, you can do both programatically; my preference has been to re-bootstrap; doing this was far faster than copying one snapshot around.

Indeed, the first step in this was using the quotes script in http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Squeeze that installs git, clones the bootstrap script, creates a 32 and 64 bit image, and then shuts down! This could be make into an API call from the command line, and then just point the script at each Region - and a shell script to iterate through each region (in parallel?).

Any AMI list could be done as a CloudFront template - see the example on http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Squeeze. This example can be put into an AWS Bucket for public distribution. We could also chose to publish the "mappings" section similarly for inclusion into other templates.

It might be out of the scope of the bootstrapper to generate the full
JSON object.
If we could automate the replication across regions and the publishing
process, then yes; we could generate the whole document.

Agreed; makes sense to wrap that all up in one "deploy new release to all regions" script.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au