Re: mcs vs gmcs

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jo Shields<directhex@apebox.org> wrote:
Bojan Rajkovic wrote:
 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Hi there,

 Which compiler should I be using in a package ? I cannot find any

policy in:

http://pkg-mono.alioth.debian.org/cli-policy/ch-packaging.html#s-build-deps

 Is this better for now to build the *.dll file using mcs (mono 1.0) ?

Thanks,

Hi Mathieu,

mcs is for C# 1.0 and 1.1, gmcs is for C# 2.0 and 3.0. If you're using
any newer features, you'll need to use gmcs. So, the correct answer
is, it depends on your code. :)

We have deprecated support for 1.0 entirely, so only 2.0-based building is
allowed. You should build-depend on "mono-devel" which will pull in the
compiler, and force your build system to use "csc" as a compiler (which
points to our current default compiler version)

Is this documented somewhere, I'd like to open a bug against gdcm and
link to that documentation.

It's documented on http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Mono20Transition

I wasn't aware that it wasn't in the policy documents yet - meebey should totally add it