Re: Cinnamon status for debian 12

Il 29/01/2023 19:40, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:
Hi,

    About xapp metapackage I think can be removed now that there isn't
    anymore packages in unstable/testing depends or recommends it and
    is not
    present in bullseye, what do you think?

Uh, sure, if it doesn't cause any transitions and it is safe, I say go ahead - however there is now a system logo in cs-info, so /maybe/ consider enabling the schema to show the logo, give it a path to emblem-vendor.svg in an override? Other than that, check deps below
I already saw you upstream commit related cs-info but debian package is also used by other derivates so is not good add distro specific icon. it would be good to put an icon only if from the same path this icon was customized in the various derivatives but I don't think there is, or am I wrong?

    About cinnamon-desktop-environment metapackages I not uploaded a new
    version for now as there is only cinnamon version dump, there are
    changes for deps/recommends suggested?

I think just bumping to >= 5.6 is enough.
I'll do if there will be no any other changes needed after the tests
Just ensure eventually:

  * gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gets installed if needed
    (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/commit/106ac24f8fe788d55c035c812c6fc0635c231e4e)

was already present before in debian packages

  * Soup - I think that is already updated but double check it

if you mean soup3 migration I don't checked if any cinnamon spices added support for soup3 and is ok force cinnamon to use soup3 and migrate to unstable libtimezonemap with soup3 changes

 *

    I still have to did some tests of upgrade from debian 11, clean
    install
    of cinnamon in latest unstable including various cases for minimal
    installation, is someone want help me in this is welcome.

 *

I can give it a shot!
thanks 4 eyes is always better that 2

    I wanted to add mint-themes before debian 12 but sadly i got stuck
    with
    a copyright issue of mint-x-icons which would most likely not pass
    the
    ftp-master review
    (https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-x-icons/issues/198
    <https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-x-icons/issues/198>). Decopy
    spotted
    creativecommon only on one file but with a grep seems in 1872
    files so a
    dfsg repack excluding all these files is not possible. Any advice for
    possible solution is welcome.

What I did for sc-im is just remove the doc/* from the source - it required adding another license, and since it was doc for yacc it wasn't a problem to remove it. Thus a copyright license entry wasn't needed; and if whoever is responsible for that file is lost to history, or unknown, see if you can remove it? I don't know much about the mint themes. Worst case scenario, check the wayback machine.
As wrote is not an only one icon (one is the spotted by decopy) but big amount of icons and removed all of that will make the themes unuseful so dfsg repack excluding all these files is not possible.

    Recently there is a new RC bug with mozjs78
    (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1029167
    <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1029167>),
    upstream
    started to work on cjs rebase for use mozjs102 but will not be
    cinnamon
    related changes done and be enough stable before cinnamon 5.8 and I
    suppose will be to late for debian 12 or if will upload new cjs and
    cinnamon required patches as d/patches there will be more regression
    risk. I hope #1029167 will be solved instead.

My knowledge of mozjs is almost none. It will not be trivial to make a debian patch for mozjs102 since it will cover a lot, and then also require patches in Cinnamon's source, and I do not know if that will cause a transition if the dependency changes from mozjs78 -> mozjs102. I think it will be better to fix the mozjs78 build, and once the rebase is complete put it in testing, and later create a user-optional backport for it post-release.

What I am thinking about is nemo-python. There is an update to 5.6.0 available, and I think it is possible to update it before the end of the week without creating a transition. Does that sound good?
is only a version bump, I was waiting for an effective change before new upload, there is a recent commit upstream (https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions/commit/7a3bf0666869dad4a3656692ffb236195b76cfbb) but not new version for now, if there will not be before the freeze probably I'll do new upload with 5.6.0 and that patch in d/patches

Thanks,
-Josh