Bug#795274: autopkgtest: please simplify the UI for the simplest use case
In order to ease getting new people into writing tests, I think we
should improve the UI. A few problems I have with it as of currently:
- the command to run tests does not match the package name: you install
`autopkgtest`, but then needs to call `adt-run`.
- running tests require too much understanding of how autopkgtest works
just to get started. For example if I want to just run tests from a
source package, and I already have the corresponding binaries
installed, I need:
$ adt-run ./ --- null
i.e. I need to specicify explicitly where to get the tests from, and
what testbed backend I want to use. "Run the tests for the current
source package right here" is IMO the simplest use case for
autopkgtest, and as such should require no effort.
I think we can get to a much better place by doing very simple things:
- renaming adt-run to `autopkgtest` (but of course keeping `adt-run` as a
synlink to `autopkgtest` to keep backwards compatibility)
- make "./" the default input (while making sure that the current
directory is a valid source package
- make "null" the default backend.
This way, running `autopkgtest` from inside a source package would Just
I am willing to write the patch for this, provided that we agree that
this is a good way forward. I won't be upset at all, however, if you
beat me to it. ;-)
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at debian.org>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: Digital signature