Re[4]: The meeting with Boshiamy result

Hello Thomas,
Friday, July 21, 2000, 3:46:08 AM, you wrote:

TC> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, hashao wrote:
>> 說到字體,清華還是北大的一個什麼公司(方正?),好像把一個系列的
>> 國標字體放在網上免費下載,一套共 88 個 TTF 字體啊。
>> 倒是又希望讓他們把這個自由了,反正是放在網上免費下載。
>> okey, 查了一下,北大方正的蘭亭字庫,我以前提過沒有?印象中好像提過。
>> or deja vu? http://www1.founderpku.com/fontweb/ 全是國標碼的,
>> 繁簡字型都有。
>> 不過說實在的,字形這種事兒,提供一兩套系統字庫就行了,如果用戶
>> 有需要,自己去買還是合理的。到底這東西是奢侈品,花錢也是應該的。
>> 不過看到 88 套字體免費下載,還是大流口水,全下載了。 300 多兆,
>> 用不著也放在那兒,心裡舒服。要不對不起自己,也對不起方正。

TC> I downloaded those 88 fonts a few months ago.  The "jian" ones (e.g.,
TC> fzssjw.ttf) do not have all the characters in GBK, but just the GB2312 (as
TC> far as I can tell) ones--no problem here.  However, the "fan" ones (e.g.,
TC> fzssfw.ttf) are very odd--while the glyphs are "fan" (traditional) ones,
TC> they are allocated in the positions for their simplified
TC> equivalents--something is wrong with the CMAP table in the fonts.  e.g.,
TC> simplified guo2 'country' is in U+56FD in the "jian" version fzssjw.ttf,
TC> which is okay, but traditional guo2 'country' is in *U+56FD in the "fan"
TC> version fzssfw.ttf, when it should really be at U+570B in that file.  It
TC> seems it is intended for someone who is typing a document using a "jian"
TC> font, and thus, simplified characters, to instantly switch to a
TC> "traditional characters" version by switching to a "fan" font, without
TC> proper conversion of the codepoints.  (In any case, the "fan" ones only
TC> have slightly more characters than the "jian" ones, but not enough to
TC> cover all the characters in Big5, even if someone were to fix the CMAP's.)

hehehe, it is what it mean to be. It is a GB font with an tranditional
type face. It is still a GB font no matter if it has a simplified or
traditional type face. I think the purpose of the tranditional GB font
is for people who are used to read tranditional text but need to load
GB text.

Of course if we are allowed to modify the font, we can convert its
cmap to big5 one with a program and fill in some missed glyph from
other big5 fonts. But I don't think we are allowed to do it now, and
the result will not be pretty (mixed typeface in one font).

--
Best regards,
 hashao                            mailto:hashao@china.com.n.s.pam