Re: Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support

Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:00PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
>
> > I am glad that you somehow found out "-deferglyphs 16".  :-)  This option
> > "defers" the loading of 16-bit glyphs e.g. large CJK and Unicode fonts.
> > Otherwise, X would try to load the _entire_ font (with 14000+ glyphs)
> > into the memory all at once.  This soon crashes the X font server,
> > and since X can't talk to the font server any more, it just freezes whenever
> > a font is requested.  At this state, X would use up all the CPU resources,
> > probably trying desperately to talk to a non-existent font server. :-)
>
> If I understand your description correctly this option is never harmful but
> very useful for some setups. Don't you think that the Debian setup should
> pass this option per default? In that case please ask Branden if he can
> do that (or file a bug, severity wishlist, on xserver-common).

Far as I can tell, it already does.  I have absolutely no recollection
of setting it myself and yet `ps ax' says:

  220 ?        S      0:17 /usr/bin/X11/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 -auth /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-BmWLWd

I'm using the following on potato

ii  xserver-common 3.3.6-9        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-svga   3.3.6-9        X server for SVGA graphics cards
ii  xdm            3.3.6-8        X display manager

Cheers,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development