Re[2]: HKSCS Font from Arphic

Hello 懶懶獵人,

? 【 在 spacehunt (懶懶獵人) 的大作中提到: 】
? : 【 在 hashao@telebot.com (hashao) 的大作中提到: 】
? : : Anyone know the detail infomation of the tte font? I think
? : It is just a normal ttf font it seems ..

It's my first impression too. But I cannot open it
using any font manager tools in My English Windows. When
I try to open it with ftview comes the freetype-tool packages,
the font does openned successfully but the glyph are
all wrong (except the first one). I figure it has something
more than standard ttf.

? : : if we can convert it into stand alone ttf font, it can just
? : : be used as a fontset easily. user defined fonts are handled
? : : in XLocale as normal fonts in X11. I don't see the need of
? : : having a special tte there. In that case, the XLocale for
? : : zh_HK should be modified a little bit more.
? : Then xfs-xtt has to be modified to support the new fontset family..
? : -arphic-kai-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-c-0-hkscs-0 for example?
? : I don't know what has to be done for bdf fonts ..

Yes. xtt does not support hkscs in its current release anyway.
The conversion table is set to standard big5 range.
The problem is if the 'hkscs' is the official charset name.
It looks like hkscs is its own a charset. It can be mapped
to big5 or ISO10646 but it does not depends on either big5 or
ISO10646.

? I forgot to add: but then the problem would be, most applications
? wouldn't know that there is another fontset class in order to
? show all characters; this would break at least netscape and crxvt
? I'd guess..

Any program that implement i18n under X11 should be able to
use hkscs with no problem. The fontset is handle internally
by XLocale. However, netscape and crxvt are not i18n compliant.
They hard coded the locales and do their own double-type char
displays. They are broke either way.
You have to remove the standard big5 locale and set zh_TW.Big5
as an alias to zh_HK.big5 if you want netscape works (might be,
but I don't know how netscape do it code conversion.) It is not
likely to have crxvt shows hkscs in the current release.

Firstly, We should decide what name the hkscs charset should be
and what's the locale for hkscs: hkscs and zh_HK.hkscs? zh_HK.big5HK?
zh_HK.big5hkscs? The charset can be hkscs but the locale indeed
included both big5 and hkscs. Maybe zh_HK.big5 is clear enough to
tell that it is a HK localized version of big5.

Best regards,
 hashao                            mailto:hashao@telebot.com