Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:18:13 +0800
From: Tung-Han Hsieh <thhsieh>
To: LI Dong <ld_dcp@tuling.com.cn>
Subject: Re: Netscape displaying Chinese

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 08:44:11AM +0800, LI Dong wrote:
> Any X Windows Chinese add-ons make X unstable.
> When I patched CXWin, it always cause my X system
> to be crashed, specially in RedHat system.
> The only way to resolve Chinese problem in X is
> to use standard i18N interface and standard XIM.
> It seems new xcin 2.5 will work well.
> Though X is unicode based, but at least we need
> a GB locale, right?
> If we can not do that, we will never get any Chinese
> in any application at last. And, at least we should
> make venders like Netscape believe it has a big market
> in China.
>
> Greetings

Right. But in the mean while, we can use a tool to display Chinese
in the non-i18n application:

ftp://chem224.ch.ntu.edu.tw/pub/CLE/devel/source/tarball/xa+cv-0.6-19990728.tar.gz

It consist 2 parts: Chinese input any where and Chinese display any where.
I haven't tried it, but I will try in a few days. It uses the LD_PRELOAD
technique to insert a layer between X-apps and Xlib. When it detects that,
for example, the X-apps need to display Chinese characters, it will use its
Chinese display function to replace the original function call in the Xapps.
It also has a configuration file which can control it to be active or not.
For example, in rxvt 2.6, it already has the ability to display Chinese,
and we don't need xa+cv, so we can set that when xa+cv is cooperating with
rxvt-2.6 it should be quiet, or non-active. I think xa+cv should be a good
tool to display Chinese for the applications.

But note that if in potato xcin-2.5 is going to be the default Chinese
input server, we should not set the Chinese input ability to be active
in xa+cv, since it has been repoted that this activity will contradict
with XIM server and the apps will crash. The Chinese input ability of
xa+cv should be used with the old xcin-2.3, and it will let every X-apps
to be feel that it can accept the Chinese input from xcin-2.3. But I
think that the X-apps with XIM support is getting more and more, we should
use the XIM way to input from now on. But in many cases we would need
the Chinese display ability more than the Chinese input ability, so
xa+cv should be useful to do that.

Just a suggestion :-)

T.H.Hsieh

----- End forwarded message -----