Re: Displaying and typing Chinese in Debian

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 08:31:50AM -0700, Edwin Lau wrote:
|Hi everyone,
|
|I have used Debian for a while and like it very much. But I really want to
|display and type chinese in Linux (and X window). Does that mean I have to
|upgrade the system to potato so that I can use the chinese locale stuff in
|the new libc as well as XA+CV and xcin. I also want to use chinese LATEX,
|TeX, and gnome. Would there be a big stability problem if I upgrade it to
|potato. Thanx in advance.
|pls include me in the reply list because I haven't subscribed the mailing
|list yet.

I suggest you to upgrade to Potato if you can, because there is only
minimal Chinese support in Slink. Most up-to-date stuffs are all
compiled for Potato.
Stability-wise, I just have one two two problems. The current problem
in Potato is the "great Perl upgrade", so just make sure that you don't
upgrade any Perl stuffs at this moment.

Another option for you is to download the source and compile the
programs on your Slink. If you are using Apt >= 0.3.6, try this:

    apt-get source <program>    # such as apt-get source xcin
    (cd into the newly created directory)
    debian/rules binary

If the software is ok for Slink then you will get a Debian package.

--
Anthony Wong.   [ E-mail: hajime@asunaro.dhs.org / ypwong@debian.org ]