Ruby on rails' SQLite database with Chinese characters

I installed a Debian Lenny AMD 64. I am planning to use Ruby in Rails to build some Chinese web pages. Now the Chinese input and output on Debian works just fine. I know in Ruby on Rails, I can add Chinese characters without problem. My question here is that whether the sqlite support Chinese characters. If it does, do I need to use different data type other than string or text? Any document out there? I searched and could not find any.

Thanks in advance.

Henry