Re: release-notes.zh_CN

Hi!

From: Ming Hua <minghua@rice.edu>

> 我按照 Xu Benda 给的 PO 文件编译了 HTML 格式的文档,放到了
>     http://chinese.alioth.debian.org/release-notes/
> 下,应该便于阅读校对一些。
>
> 我编译的基准是 1.112 版的英文 SGML,从结果上来看似乎还有不少段落没有翻译。
>
> 另外我有两点想法:
>
> 一、Debian 安装程序和安装手册虽然由不同的人负责翻译,但是两者的版面格式
> 大致相同,比如中文和英文之间加半角空格,用半角括号,等等。Release notes
> 的中文版面格式和这两个翻译完全不一样。从界面一致性的角度看,有没有必要和
> 安装程序及安装手册保持相似的格式?
>
> 二、中文翻译里有不少译者注,总的说来很好,但是有两处章节标题也附了译者注,
> 结果在目录中有一个很长的带注的标题,我觉得很难看。

I subscribe exactly what you say in your 第一想法.  The layout is not
exactly consistent: half-width and full-width characters are used
without much regard for typesetting rules (no accusation or reproach
intended).

I'm convinced that the angle from which we should make up such
typesetting rules should be from a LaTeX perspective.  It is after all
the engine which finally produces the PDF documents.  The (X)HTML
language is still too much in its infancy in order to distill
typographical rules from it.

I have a few suggestions.  For example about the brackets/parentheses:
use "~(" for English texts and computer code and terminology; use "「"
when the content of the brackets is in Chinese.  General rule: stick
to full-width characters in Chinese texts whenever possible.  It
allows the line to "breathe".

And when switching from Chinese to English and vice versa, please
include a breakable space before and after the English words.
In TeX this would be achieved not by adding not a non-breakable space
but a CJKspace using a tilde "~" (if \CJKtilde is on).

Hanzi in italics are downright ugly.  A better way to emphasize hanzi
is to underline them, since the baseline for each hanzi is exactly the
same (unlike roman characters like "g" or "j").  An ideal way would be
to use a different font altogether, but we are (currently) only
limited to two fonts provided by Arphic.

The old tfm-arphic-* used freetype1-tools which allowed the ad hoc
creation of italic font shapes.  The new latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-*
packages are instead created with Fontforge and use Type1 fonts and
fontmaps.  The only way to get italics is to create such a font with
Fontforge "skewing" each font shape with roughly 10 degrees.  This
takes too much time, effort and HD space IMHO, and italic hanzi are
ugly anyway.

Any suggestions for DFSG-free fonts to be packaged that can act as
italics?  Or shall we stick to underlining hanzi with emphasis?

Perhaps I should ask Edward G. Lee if he knows any good websites for
Chinese typesetting customs and rules.

Cheers!

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐

P.S.: debiandoc2latex now works with the updated latex-cjk.  For
example, "debiandoc2latexpdf -l zh_{TW,CN} -s ./bin/fixlatex *.sgml"
now works without problems.

--
題目:《題西林壁》
作者:蘇軾(1036-1101)