Re: release-notes.zh_CN

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 02:11:24AM +0100, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:

> From: Ming Hua <minghua@rice.edu>
>
> > 另外我有两点想法:
> >
> > 一、Debian 安装程序和安装手册虽然由不同的人负责翻译,但是两者的版面格式
> > 大致相同,比如中文和英文之间加半角空格,用半角括号,等等。Release notes
> > 的中文版面格式和这两个翻译完全不一样。从界面一致性的角度看,有没有必要和
> > 安装程序及安装手册保持相似的格式?
>
> I subscribe exactly what you say in your 第一想法.  The layout is not
> exactly consistent: half-width and full-width characters are used
> without much regard for typesetting rules (no accusation or reproach
> intended).

Given that different projects are led by different people, and there
seems to be no official typesetting or layout setting for simplified
Chinese, this is not surprising.

> I'm convinced that the angle from which we should make up such
> typesetting rules should be from a LaTeX perspective.  It is after all
> the engine which finally produces the PDF documents.  The (X)HTML
> language is still too much in its infancy in order to distill
> typographical rules from it.
>
> I have a few suggestions.
[specific LaTeX typesetting suggestions]

For the case in point, Debian release notes is written in Debian SGML,
and both the HTML and LaTeX are auto-generated.  So I suppose using the
specific LaTeX CJK typesetting syntax is not really practical here.

> Hanzi in italics are downright ugly.  A better way to emphasize hanzi
> is to underline them, since the baseline for each hanzi is exactly the
> same (unlike roman characters like "g" or "j").  An ideal way would be
> to use a different font altogether, but we are (currently) only
> limited to two fonts provided by Arphic.
>
> The old tfm-arphic-* used freetype1-tools which allowed the ad hoc
> creation of italic font shapes.  The new latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-*
> packages are instead created with Fontforge and use Type1 fonts and
> fontmaps.  The only way to get italics is to create such a font with
> Fontforge "skewing" each font shape with roughly 10 degrees.  This
> takes too much time, effort and HD space IMHO, and italic hanzi are
> ugly anyway.
>
> Any suggestions for DFSG-free fonts to be packaged that can act as
> italics?  Or shall we stick to underlining hanzi with emphasis?

I also think italic Hanzi is ugly and shouldn't used at all.  I also
think Kai style works great as emphasis when the main typeface is
Song/Ming style.  I believe this is even used in formal Chinese
publications.

> P.S.: debiandoc2latex now works with the updated latex-cjk.  For
> example, "debiandoc2latexpdf -l zh_{TW,CN} -s ./bin/fixlatex *.sgml"
> now works without problems.

Yes, I tested it the other day and it worked.  Thanks a lot for helping
to fix that bug.

Ming
2006.12.13