Re: tcl and xcin input problem

Hi,
the program that works great with chinese and diacritics is TreeLine (http://www.bellz.org/treeline/). Basically I was loking for something taht would display data in a tree as Leo does and that would allow me to make a lot of notes around, define relations etc. The TreeLine is not that great (Leo really is!, you know it if you have used it). Strange thing is that I was able to input directly into Leo under Windows. So it should work under Linux too. Strange thing is that I can run Leo only from xcinterm-big5. When I press shift-alt xcin comes up, but when I type it input normal keys from my keyboard and ignores xcin completely.
If I try to run it from xcinterm-gb2312 it gives me this error:
Traback (most recent call last):
   File "./leo.py", line 195, in ?
       run()
   File "./leo.py", line 130, in run
       root = Tkinter.Tk()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1538, in __init__
       self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
_tkinter.TclError: Cant't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /usr/lib/tcl8.4 / then begins some mess with chinese characters and spaces and then it says:
This probably means that Tcl isn't installed properly.

Well, I understand it only to the extent that I can say that I should reinstall Tcl. I did it,both dpkg-reconfigure and that from source. Nothing. Well I would guess that gb is maybe more sensitive (?) and that the error shows up in big5 only in the way, that I can't type.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Petr

Alex Lau ??? wrote:

Petr Simon wrote:
Hi,
this problem is for big5 too, but I guess almost everyone who reads big5 reads gb too and vise versa. The problem: I'd like to use Leo (http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html) for my MA thesis in chinese linguistics, which means that I have to input a lot of stuff both in chinese and in my native language which has few diacritics. Leo is written in Python and uses Tcl/Tk for it's GUI. I wrote to the author and it really seems that the problem is in Tcl/Tk, 'cause I have another quite similar program in Python which is qt GUIed and it works great with anything. Well Python handles unicode without a problem. Basically I can paste into it (fonts are quite bad), but I can't directly type in.
Any experience, help, pointers ?
Thanks fo help
Petr
P.S. Thanks to Andre for being always very helpful help ;-)

what other program you are talking about?
It Tcl/TK didn't convert encoding back to UTF it may be a parblem.
I don't know what kind of function you need for your thesis..
but personally if you want to use UTF, java app will be the best
choose from my experience.
Alex