bbdb can't save database in big5 chinese anymore

The bbdb I got from sid CD is corrupting any big5 chinese I enter and refusing
to save the database in big5!  Is there anything i can do in a hook to
alleviate the problem? Versions on my CD:
$ dpkg -l '*emacs*' \*gnus* \*bbdb*|grep ^i
ii  emacs-goodies-el   16.1-1             Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs21            21.2-1             The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs21-el         21.2-1             GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacsen-common     1.4.15             Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  gnus               5.8.8-8            A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen
ii  gnus-bonus-el      3.1-1              Miscellaneous add-ons for Gnus
ii  gnuserv            3.12.4-4           Allows you to attach to an already running Emacs
ii  bbdb               2.34.cvs20020819-1 The Insidious Big Brother Database (email rolodex) f
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780