Re: How to enter HKSCS character in Debian

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 04:45:54PM +0800, ha shao wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:55:11PM +0800, ha shao wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 06:52:28PM +0800, mau_lee_hk@hongkong.com wrote:
> >
> > We have no HKSCS font with Debian. You can use MS' or whoever's
> > font which might include HKSCS' characters. Or you can create one
> > by using pfaedit (we have that package in debian sid at least).
>
> Oh, I think HKSAR released a TTF font for hkscs, but I am not
> sure if its codepoint is what is included in unicode 3.1 standard.

According to 香港资讯科技署 ITSD (Information Technology Services
Department), the current font provided maps to Big5's EUDC (End-users
Definition Characters) or Unicode's PUA (Private User's Area).

BTW, The HKSCS (1999) / HKSCS:2001 standard defines over 4000
characters.  In the new standard, most characters have been moved from PUA
to CJK Ext B, but there are still about 100 characters that remain in PUA.
One challenge to full support for the new version of HKSCS is that Unicode
codepoints above U+20000 in CJK Extension Area B are used, but there are
still a few major parts of the system like XFree86 and Qt that do not yet
support anything beyond U+FFFF.  So yes, that will be a bit of a challenge.
:-)

> You can use pfaedit to merge that font with Arphic's TTF. Don't
> know if the HKSCS's license is free enough that would let you distribute
> your modification freely.

Not sure, although I recall Roger So saying that a Big5 *.ttf font can be
used in tandom with a HKSCS *.tte font.  Not sure.  We'll see.  :-)

春节快乐,马到功成!  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling