Re: UTF-8

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:09:44PM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> > 1.no Xlib support (?) -- Seems that the debian XFree86 4.1.0 doesn't
> > come with all the locales Inside  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale, there's no
> > zh_*.UTF8 directories, and the README inside says that UTF-8 is broken
> > in this version of X, damn!
>
> works fine for me...
> try
> dpkg-reconfigure locales
> and select the UTF-8 versions.
> I use en_US-UTF-8 as default locale.
> I further use KDE as desktop and set everything to unicode (ISO 10???).
> The fonts are set to Arial Unicode MS... yes, I took the font from M$...
> but the Arphic fonts work as well (as long as you only want to display
> chinese and english...)

I've set my locale to zh_HK.UTF8... i guess i've to stick to en_US.UTF8
until they put other utf8 in X...

so KDE seems to have nice support of utf8. However, I'm not going to
install KDE/Gnome/other desktop environment, my PC is just *too slow* :(.

> > 5. xfs-xtt is very unstable (crashes alot when viewing CJK web page with
> > mozilla)
>
> no experience... I use the builtin xtt module in XFree86... (have to
> specify it in the XFree86-4.conf)
so u're not using any font server and have all the font paths in
XF86Config?

It'd be great if someone come up with some perl script to convert
filenames to UTF8. I guess that can be done with iconv + perl

--

- jhy

"If you are reading this line you've too much time to waste."