Re: Information about the debian-chinese Big5<->GB gateway

Hello Chiau Wee Ling,
On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:48:37AM +0800, Chiau Wee Ling wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> This is Chiau Wee Ling from Alpnet Singapore. I had read the article
> regarding above mentioned in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-chinese-0007/msg00069.html and found that it
> was converted from GB2312 to Big5 by an automatic gateway.
>
> I am very interesting in the Automatic geteway that can convert article from
> GB2312 to Big5. It will be highly appreciated if you can provide us more
> information about the automatic gateway.
>
> Look forward to have your reply very soon.

This "gateway" is nothing more than a Perl script which basically
parse the message to see where it is from (debian-chinese-big5 or
debian-chinese-gb), then de-MIME the message, pass it to
Yu Guanghui's <ygh@debian.org>  AutoConvert (zh-autoconvert)
Big5<->GB text conversion program, and then post the message to the
destination list.

The Perl script is under the GNU General Public License, and you may
grab a copy from:

	http://master.debian.org/~foka/debian-chinese-gateway.pl

How is this script called?  Thanks to the way e-mail is setup on
master.debian.org, I can use "foka-<anyname>@debian.org" style addresses
for special purposes.  So, I subscribed "foka-gateway-big5@debian.org"
to debian-chinese-big5@lists.debian.org, and "foka-gateway-gb@debian.org"
to debian-chinese-gb@lists.debian.org.  I then added the following forward
files:

~/.forward-gateway-big5:
	| /debian/home/foka/bin/debian-chinese-gateway.pl

~/.forward-gateway-gb:
	| /debian/home/foka/bin/debian-chinese-gateway.pl

and the debian-chinese-gateway.pl does the rest.  :-) And so, yes,
debian-chinese-gateway.pl is very heavily customized for _this_ setup
only, and you will need to edit debian-chinese-gateway.pl to suit your
need.  And yes, it would be the easiest if you are running a modern
GNU/Linux or *BSD or other UNIX system with a fairly modern and
complete Perl installation and with Perl's MIME module installed.
(On Debian, it is the libmime-perl package.)

Hope this helps,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada