Using fontsets in emacs

Hi,

I trying to customize my fontsets in emacs for the chinese-Big5
character set.  I know I can use the "standard" fontset by holding down
"shift+mouse1" and I have.  It works great!  But I want to change the
the font....

I've read the emacs info pages about fontsets.  It boils down to setting
Xresouces in the .Xdefault file.   I'm trying the following in my
.Xdefaults wihtout success:

Emacs.Fontset-0: *-fixed-medium-*-15-*-fontset-24, \
        chinese-big5-1:*-kai-*-*-15-*, \
        chinese-big5-2:*-kai-*-*-15-*

It **should** create a fontset called "*-fixed-medium-*-15-*-fontset",
but I can't get it to work.  Any .Xdefault wizards out there? or emacs
lisp wizards?

Also there is also a function called "create-fontset-from-fontset-spec"
in the documentation, but I can't get it to work for me.   I'm running
woody with emacs 20.7 .

I was able to actually hack
/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/international/fontset.el and modify the
"standard-fontset-spec" variable to be what I wanted -- that actually
worked, but that can't be the right way to do it :) .  That made the
usual "shift+mouse1" standard fontset be what I wanted.

Cheers,
Curt