Re: help: should i store wcs in database file or mbs?

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:01:25PM +0800, zw@debian.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm writing dim. i have a question: if i should store chinese
> charaters into db file using wcs (internal encoding used by glibc,
> which is ucs-32 by now) or should i convert them into locale dependent
> mbs (gb2312, big5, utf-8 etc). and why? the db file i'm using is
> created by libdb2 (/ libdb3) which is itself a binary file.

utf-8 is locale dependent? wcs is easier to handle but maybe waste
some space. wcs is not portable as the underline c library does
not always use ucs-32 to represent wcs. Here you put wcs into a db file.
It is not guaranteed you can get it back on other systems. I know
dim means Debian input Method :) but still...better make it extendable.
It is not a problem if the db file is created at the compilation
time or there will be no db file exchange b/w platform. Dim is supposed
to populate its database dynamically, right?

utf-8 might be a better solution. Process in wcs and save in utf-8.

--
Best regard
hashao