Re: help: should i store wcs in database file or mbs?

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:01:25PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm writing dim. i have a question: if i should store chinese
> charaters into db file using wcs (internal encoding used by glibc,
> which is ucs-32 by now) or should i convert them into locale dependent
> mbs (gb2312, big5, utf-8 etc). and why? the db file i'm using is
> created by libdb2 (/ libdb3) which is itself a binary file.
>
> thanks in advance!

I think the Chinese phrases in the db are highly locale-dependent anyway
(eg. many phrases are different in mainland compared to Hong Kong), so
storing them using the local encoding (GB2312, Big5...) should not be
too much of a problem.

On the other hand, the encoding used in an area can change over time
(eg. GB2312 -> GBK), and so you'll need to convert whatever in the db to
the user's locale anyway (at runtime maybe?), so you might as well use
UCS-4.

BTW will dim only be compiled with glibc 2.2? Because it is not
guaranteed that wcs is UCS-4 elsewhere ...

--
  Roger So                                               Opinions are mine,
  Sun Wah Linux Ltd.                                     not my employer's.