Re: Chinese characters w/ debian

Hello Curtis,
On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 02:23:53PM -0700, Curtis Brune wrote:
> I found your email on the debian big 5 mailing list.  I hope I'm not
> bugging you and that you can help me.

Hehe, that's okay.  Anyhow, it may be better to ask directly on
debian-chinese-big5@lists.debian.org so more people can help.
(I disappear from time to time especially when I am too busy in real life.
:-)

I can't help you with lyx-cjk, at least not yet.  I ran into the exact
same problem, and wasn't sure how to solve it.  The LyX CJK patch was
written by a Korean, and I believe the lyx-cjk package was also
packaged by a Debian-KR developer.  It _should_ be able to work with
Chinese and Japanese too.  I just haven't figured out yet.  Getting
lyx-cjk to work with Chinese is somewhere on our TODO list.  ;-)

> 	Sorry, This subroutine requires the scalable hangul fonts

If you are adventurous, you could try installing one of the Debian
Korean scalable hangul font packages and see if that would help the
situation.  I haven't tried it yet, however, and I just have been using
CJK for LaTeX in a normal text editor.

> Also I'm looking for a document that describes the character input
> systems for cxterm or crxvt.

Hmm... I am no expert in this area.  Ask on debian-chinese-big5 and the
XCIN author and guru Tung-Han Hsieh could point you the way.
Essentially, cxterm comes with its own input method mechanism, whereas
crxvt, when used with XCIN or Chinput, uses the standard X11 XIM input
method mechanism.

> Oh and I read a bit about locales and setting LC_CTYPE.  What should
> that be set to?

	LANG=zh_TW.Big5        (Traditional Chinese)
or
	LANG=zh_CN.GB2312      (Simplified Chinese)

or, easier yet, just

	apt-get install xcin crxvt

and, once in X11, run

	xcinterm-big5

and a Chinese crxvt window with xcin input server should all start up
automagically for you.  No messing with LANG or other variables
required.  You may be interested to take a look at the
/usr/bin/xcinterm  script too to see how it does it.  ;-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada