Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

ha shao <hashao@chinese.com> writes:

> A Red Flag guy wrote a tech note in Chinese:
> http://d23xapp2.cn.ibm.com/developerWorks/linux/i18n/gb18030/index.shtml
>
> An review on the old, March version is at:
> ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/pub/examples/nutshell/cjkv/pdf/GB18030_Summary.pdf

These are exactly where I got my knowledge on GB18030, especially the
PDF file. (gnome-gv cannot read Chinese characters in it. xpdf needs
to enable a compile option to read it.)

To make myself clearer, GB2312's problem as an inter-application
encoding is that it cannot help you communicate with people using
Big5, to say.  Ditto for Big5. UTF-8's biggest virtue as an
inter-application encoding is that that helps you distinct every
possible characters used.

To use GB18030, it keeps compatibity with GB2312, at the same time it
keeps the quirk as using GB2312 as an inter-application encoding. So
the question is, what does GB18030 give us? Where's the benefit using
it? You're still isolated just as you use GB2312.

Locale is not perfect here. Yes, ``ls'' and ``sh'' can understand
GB18030 if you've got your locale straight. But think what will happen
if you join an IRC channel with people from TW and CN together? The
man on the other side of the Internet doesn't seem to understand your
LC_ALL settings. 8-P

Oh, the FontSet, that is, if your encodings don't collapse. A FontSet
of -gb2312.80-0 and -big5-0 will probably leads you to nowhere. While
the on the fly recoding to UTF-8 from -gb2312.80-0 and -big5-0 will
helps you. My question with GB18030 is, what does it give?

The solution for this situation is obvious the one and only
zh_CN.UTF-8 I'm afraid I have to say so.

--
zhaoway