Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 03:27:03PM +0800, ha shao wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 09:17:10AM +0800, zw@debian.org wrote:
> > As rumor said, GB18030 maybe is just on the road to Unicode... So somebody,
> > mark-ably the author of Unicode-Linux FAQ, doesn't have much interests to let
> > XFree86 see GB18030. And we know he's a strong vocal in the XFree86 world. ;)
>
> We have to bring our users usable environment. If mark-ably doesn't like
> it, we will roll in ourselves. GB18030 is mandatory in mainland. If it
> is not supported, mainland user won't use it or think it is not complete.

Agreed.  Besides, even I may not agree with the Communist government, I
highly commend their actions for enforcing their GB18030 standard.  This
way, at least one good thing that has come out, whether related or not, is
that Unicode 3.1 added a whopping 40,000+ CJK characters.  :-)  We Chinese
and our language are not going to pushed around by foreign programmers who
only want convenience and won't worry about the incompleteness of the
CJK charset in an international standard.  Competition is good.  ;-)

Is there an Internet site published by the government about GB18030?  I have
no idea where to find more information about it, whereas everything is
clearly laid out on www.unicode.org and even www.cns11643.gov.tw (?).
Is there similar website about GB18030?  I would be very interested to learn
more about it.  Thanks!

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada