Re: Chinese fonts in X look dirty

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:38:45PM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> >   * A Chinese bitmap font was used in place of the TrueType font, and
> >     X re-scaled the bitmap font, which indeed, doesn't look so pretty.
> >     xfonts-cmex-big5p might be the culprit.  Do this:
> >
> > 	dpkg --purge xfonts-cmex-big5p
>
> well, now I don't have any chinese fonts any more... doesn't matter which
> font I choose now, chinese glyphs are not displayed as glyphs any more...

Hmm... The latest xfonts-base should still contain some Chinese fonts.
Not *-big5-0, but *-gb2312.1980-0.  You may also want to install
xfonts-intl-chinese.  It is bitmap, but quite useful too.  :-)

> I have installed the true type packages, but the fnst don't come up in the
> selection in KDE. xfs-xtt is running too...
> I think it's a general font problem in my system. Truetype fonts seem not to
> be recognized.
> Is there anything else I have to look at?
> Which fonts do you use in X-windows to display chinese chars?

Well, before we go any further, what Debian system are you using?
Is it Debian potato, woody or sid?  (2.2r3, testing or unstable?)
Assuming you are using Debian testing/unstable:

	apt-get install ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-bkai00mp \
		ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp \
		x-ttcidfont-conf

Of which, x-ttcidfont-conf is the key.  And oh, the ttf-arphic-*, you'll
want the ones from unstable, not from testing.  (i.e., want 2.11-4 & 2.10-4,
not 2.11-1, 2.10-1).

And of course, you'll need to use either "xtt" or the "freetype" module in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  x-ttcidfont-conf will also ask you which one you
want to use.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada